The Prince George Young Canadian Music Festival
Start date: 20 October, 2017
End date: 22 October, 2017
The Festival will be a unique, three day event that combines local youth and professional musical instructors and performers with the public in an extravaganza of musical education and performance opportunities. The event will feature a combination of masterclasses and workshops delivered by local professional musicians who also serve as faculty members and / or members of the PGSO. These sessions will be open to all young musicians from the area. The performances will include student participants alongside the professional musicians of the PG Conservatory and PGSO. There will also be a call for original compositions, to be performed at one or more of the performances of the event.
The event will conclude with a gala PGSO concert that will be geared for families, and will feature young, local performers. The PGSO gala concert will feature a major Canadian musical work that is created specifically for Canada’s sesquicentennial.
Nature of the Project Reach
The project will reach youth and families, and professional musicians and instructors, of the Prince George District.
1. Celebrate 150 years of Canadian Composers in recognition of Canada’s sesquicentennial
2. Provide opportunities for young musicians from the Prince George District to showcase their talents and enhance musical training through workshops and public performances
3. Engage and unite local talent, both amateur and professional, to create unique performances will appeal to regular concert goers, and new audiences alike
4. Establish a signature cultural event that could be renewed on an annual basis
5. Strengthen ties between several Prince George cultural organizations and set a stage for improved collaboration