Workshops in Schools: Building the Next Generation
Start date: 1 November, 2016
End date: 15 June, 2017
"Building the Next Generation" will bring dance education to school students as well as provide a new generation of educators with the tools to provide high quality dance education in the public school system.
GD aims to bring sustainability to our Workshops in Schools program. In addition to 5 instructional days each at 3 at-risk schools, GD will provide professional development to school teachers, providing them with dance tools they can use themselves, and professional development workshops for the next generation of artists, equipping them with best practices in teaching dance in a school setting. This initiative aims to improve the quality of dance education in our schools, encouraging expression, body awareness, and creativity in our community’s children. A dance teaching artist and percussionist will work together for these workshops, which will focus on grades 3-6.
The 6 teaching artists in training will co-teach with the professional teaching artist in the schools.
Up to 20 elementary teachers will be invited to attend a professional development workshop with a dance teaching artist and percussionist at a time separate from the Workshops in
Nature of the Project Reach
* all Guelph area public elementary school teachers * Guelph area dance artists interested in learning how to teach dance in a school setting * children attending Guelph public schools serving a high percentage of at-risk families
* Educate school students about dance and creativity
* Educate public school teachers about how to integrate dance education into their daily classroom
* Educate the next generation of teaching artists on best practices of teaching dance in a school setting
* Strengthen Guelph's public school infrastructure
* Foster the next generation of creative thinkers who will lead our country into its next 150 years