Volunteer Prince George! Embrace the 150 for 150 Volunteer Challenge.
Start date: 1 January, 2017
End date: 30 January, 2018
Motivating, supporting, and recognizing members from the City of Prince George participating in the Canada 150 for 150 Volunteer Challenge. Volunteerism is inclusive and a major thread in Canada’s cultural fabric. This project will encourage diverse members of our community, including new Canadians, Aboriginal, youth, and seniors, to participate in a truly-Canadian experience: the act of giving time freely and willingly for the common good without monetary gain.
Nature of the Project Reach
Individuals will create unique, positive, and lasting memories as active participants/volunteers in local events happening throughout Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation. Giving and connected individuals will lead to a more vibrant community that is proud of successfully working toward a common goal.
The goal of this project is for at least 1,000 members of the City of Prince George to contribute volunteer hours as part of the Canada-wide 150 for 150 Volunteer Challenge (Challenge). Volunteer Prince George and its partners will achieve this goal by the following steps:
- Promoting the Challenge using diverse marketing tools.
- Offering information sessions throughout the city on how to register and track volunteer hours using the Challenge’s online system.
- Providing information about volunteer opportunities, including Canada 150 Alliance projects, at events throughout the community.
- Locally recognizing achievements of Challenge participants and the positive impact on our community by profiles, stories, awards, certificates, etc.
We need nonprofit organizations, societies, secondary schools, and clubs to be "Challenge Partners", which will perform some or all of the following roles:
- Promote the “Challenge” to their members and volunteers with materials provided by Volunteer PG.
- Register their society as a volunteer organization on the 150 for 150 on-line platform.
- Recruit a volunteer facilitator (trained by Volunteer PG) who will teach their members and volunteers how to register online for the “Challenge” and how to track their volunteer hours using the 150 for 150 on-line platform.
- Donate a room with computer / internet access for two separate “Challenge” information sessions for their members and volunteers (1 hour in March/April and 1 hour in October/November).
- Host a booth during a “Challenge” Volunteer Fair coordinated by Volunteer PG during National Volunteer Week (April 23 - 29, 2017).
- Provide 2 volunteer recognition gifts worth $10 each for the award ceremony hosted by Volunteer PG on International Volunteer Day (December 5, 2017).
- Participate in recognition by sharing “Challenge” volunteer stories and attending the awards ceremony.
We need local media to be “Challenge Promoters”, which will advertise the project at low- or no-cost.
We need community leaders from the following organizations to be “Challenge Champions”, who will be profiled on Volunteer PG website and provide invitations to their staff / students / volunteers to participate. We need local businesses to be "Challenge Sponsors", which will provide monetary or in-kind donations to the project. In particular, we are looking for event sponsors for our Volunteer Fair (April 28, 2017) and Volunteer Recognition - Awards Ceremony (December 5, 2017).
- Reach: Community(ies)
- Theme(s): Grant making & Volunteerism
- Region(s): British Columbia
- Website: http://www.volunteerpg.com/volunteer-150-challenge/