The Little Woods Natural Playground
Start date: 1 March, 2017
End date: 31 August, 2017
We are working to create a low impact, natural outdoor play space in what is currently a neglected corner of an existing municipal recreation park. This playground will be available to the surrounding community, and will also serve as the licensed outdoor play area for a new childcare centre, Full o'Beans Full-Time Childcare, and Beansprouts Infant and Toddler Care.
Nature of the Project Reach
The Little Woods Natural Playground will be a unique outdoor play experience, offering an environment that is as close to nature as possible while still providing opportunities for children to grow and learn in an engaging, challenging play space. Located near a busy recreation centre, library and shopping hub, this playground will add value and enjoyment to a large and diverse community.
- to reinvigorate an urban park area and bring it to life
- to engage the community in a revitalization project that will enhance their neighbourhood for years to come
- to work with local interest groups to increase awareness of native flora and fauna, and encourage development of the space to protect both
- to develop a 'close to nature' play experience for children 0-5 and their families, offering educational experiences and increased awareness of our local environment
- to create a messy, natural, challenging and engaging outdoor play space that encourages exploration, creativity and physicality in our youngest citizens.... in a way that meets or exceeds licensing requirements for regulated childcare settings
Project needs: We will be working in stages to clear out the dead and non-native plant material and rubbish, beginning with an initial work party in March 2017. We will also need help with 'finish' clear up, layout and construction of fixed features, installation of surfacing, fencing etc.